top of page
Parviz Malakouti-Fitzgerald, Esq.

(323) 306-4548

(888) 728-9080

  • Writer's pictureParviz Malakouti-Fitzgerald, Esq.

How to Keep Your Approved I-130 From "Expiring"

By Parviz Malakouti-Fitzgerald, Esq.

If you’re applying for a green card through consular processing, you need to be aware of making sure your I-130 is not deemed abandoned. 

After USCIS approves your I-130, it is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) for processing.

Article Outline

Once you are informed that you may proceed with your immigrant visa case at the NVC, you need to take care that your I-130 is not deemed abandoned. NVC can consider your I-130 abandoned if you don’t “take action” within  a year. 

Sometimes people don’t proceed with processing at NVC because they are not ready to apply for a visa yet. This can be for personal reasons, or to try to 

Luckily, there are a few ways you can take action, sufficient to keep your I-130 active for another year.

Above all, at Malakouti Law, we recommend you make notes and keep documentation regarding your contact with the NVC. That way you can push back if NVC later claims that you did not take action on the case. 

1. Make an Online Inquiry with NVC 

You can renew your I-130 for another year by making a public inquiry with NVC regarding your case. This method has the advantage of providing you with some documentary evidence (in the form of an email you receive) that you contacted the NVC about your case. 

Sample of the NVC Public Inquiry form found here

2. Sign-in to NVC Website (CEAC)

Another way you can renew your I-130 is by simply signing in to the NVC CEAC website using your NVC case number and Invoice ID number. 

Both of these numbers are emailed to you when your I-130 is approved by USCIS and sent to NVC for further processing. The act of signing in serves as action on the case sufficient to keep the I-130 active for another year.

Note: We are not as keen on relying on a CEAC sign-in to keep an approved I-130 petition active because it does not necessarily generate any documentation for you that you can use as proof later if necessary. 

Screenshot of the NVC CEAC sign-in page

3. Call the National Visa Center (in the Future) 

In theory, you can also renew your I-130 by calling the National Visa Center telephone line at 603-334-0700. However as of this writing, the NVC is not taking inquiries via its telephone line. 

If or when that changes in the future, ostensibly one will be able to call in to NVC to keep an approved I-130 petition active.

4. Consult with Malakouti Law 

To consult with Malakouti Law about your issue, click here to request a consultation. 

Each immigration and citizenship case is particular and you should consult with a qualified immigration and citizenship lawyer about your case before taking any steps. The Law Office of Parviz Malakouti does not guarantee the accuracy of information presented nor assume responsibility for actions taken in reliance of this information. The information in this page could become outdated. Attorney marketing.

bottom of page